Our focus is on our customers and our team members. As Canada’s only not-for-profit security company, over 90% of our revenues go directly back to our team members in wages, health & dental benefits, RRSP contributions, employee recognition programs, and more.
Be part of a great team where your contribution is recognized. We offer opportunities to service a range of different customers. If interested in advancement, there is plenty of opportunity. We are a dedicated equal opportunity employer with both structured and flexible shifts available across Vancouver Island and into the Yukon to suit every lifestyle – student, parent, night owl, you name it!
As one of Canada’s leading security organizations, our security professionals keep airports, schools, government facilities, and other commercial enterprises safe. We also work with police departments and municipalities to help in keeping Canadians safe.
Make a difference!
Location: Ladysmith RCMP Detachment
Reports to: Client Service Manager
Wage: $19.93/hr plus RSP
Shift Times: On-Call/Casual Backup – Days, Evenings and Overnights
Under the direction of the RCMP Member responsible for Cell Block Operations, the Detention Guard is primarily responsible to monitor the safety and well-being of persons in custody and perform other duties as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Observe and check prisoners frequently and irregularly, this may include the use of Closed- Circuit Television (CCTV).
- Assist RCMP member(s) when required to search prisoners (training provided) Note: Physical handling of prisoners is not a job requirement for Detention Guards; any movement of prisoners will be conducted by the RCMP.
- Organize meals, record prisoner activity, and maintain a prisoner activity logbook.
- Monitor prisoners while in hospital (when required).
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of cells when vacated or arrange janitor assistance.
- Record and report any damages or repairs to cells.
- Conduct search of cells prior to occupation and when cells are vacated.
- Maintain cellblock security by ensuring cell doors are locked at all times.
- Ensure cellblock keys are tagged and stored safely.
- Ensure all personal effects removed from prisoners are properly secured.
- Monitor fire safety and be fully conversant with fire orders.
- Handle and dispense laundry items.
- Under the supervision of the RCMP Officer, dispense approved prescription medications to persons in custody.
- As per the RCMP Unit Supplemental Orders, monitoring prisoners to have or suspected of having suicidal tendencies.
- Perform escort duties as required for specific detachments.
- Perform other duties particular to that detachment as laid out in the Unit Supplemental Orders.
QUALIFICATIONS – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Valid Occupational First Aid level 1 (St John’s Ambulance OFA1 or equivalent) is a requirement. Once hired, Commissionaires will maintain your certification.
- Able to obtain RCMP Reliability and Public Works Reliability Clearance (RCMP Clearance can take 4 – 6 months to obtain).
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Vision: Visual standards are RCMP-V4 (eyeglasses permitted).
- Able to bend at the waist and climb stairs without restrictions or the use of assistive devices.
- Mobility Standards: Able to use both hands, occasionally manipulate/lift up to 20 kilograms, bend at the waist and climb stairs without restrictions or the use of assistance devices.
- Basic level computer skills.
- Ability to remain in control under trying conditions.
- Ability to be discrete.
- Work effectively with other people.
- Willingness to undergo detention guard training as required, including Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS) training and refresher on a semi-annual basis.
- Ability to work independently.
- Conscientious, enthusiastic, and reliable.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
- Free and paid training programs.
- Opportunities for advancement.
- A variety of shifts to maximize work-life balance!
- Exclusive partnership rates with BMO, Bell, and Hero Travel program
- Recognition and reward programs.
- Extended health, dental, and vision coverage.
- Free uniform and dry-cleaning reimbursement.
- Safety boot reimbursement and PPE provided (as applicable).
- RRSP contributions.
- Referral bonuses.
- And more!
Powered by JazzHR
To apply for this job please visit commissionairesvictoriatheislandsandyukon.applytojob.com.