REPORTS TO:Superintendent Equipment Maintenance
SALARY:$78,390 – 92,223
WHO WE ARE:
Ontario Northland Transportation Commission (ONTC) is an Agency of the Province of Ontario that provides efficient and vital transportation services. We employ over 900 skilled professionals and are over 120 years old and proud of our heritage and connection to the communities we serve. We are focused on moving forward with the goal of being a valued leader in transportation. We offer competitive salary, excellent benefits, a defined benefit pension plan, paid vacation, 3 paid personal leave days along with discounted transportation on our bus and passenger rail services.
The Equipment Supervisor is responsible for supervising unionized staff involved with the maintenance and repair of equipment and facilities under the jurisdiction of the Rail Division – Mechanical Department. Direct staff responsibilities include the supervision of approximately 45 unionized employees.
MAJOR DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans, directs and controls their area within the Mechanical Department to meet planned and day-to-day workload demands in accordance with prescribed schedules, specifications and procedures.
- Works in cooperation with other supervisors and departments in scheduling and planning of the maintenance of equipment and facilities.
- Develops methods and techniques for productivity improvements and ensures work conforms to Ontario Northland and all other applicable specifications.
- Maintains contact with Manager Operations Support and AAR Standards to ensure proper workforce levels are upheld to meet the workload.
- Investigates operational problems as required and initiates corrective action. Corrects or changes work procedures and/or methods as required to maintain equipment and facilities to the highest standards.
- Ensures the collective agreement is adhered to.
- Investigates and completes all accident report forms. Recommends improvements, changes, training, and/or discipline.
- Ensures that staff are properly trained in the duties they are to perform.
- Ensures employees work safely and efficiently in a positive work environment.
- Holds regular meetings with staff to deal with safety related issues.
- Completes all necessary administrative duties associated with the position including performance management plans, computer system entries to track equipment maintenance costs, etc.
- The requirement for additional time to be spent on the job beyond the normal working hours is a real possibility which will include after hour calls.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Secondary School Diploma or General Educational Diploma (GED)
- Trade Certification in either Railway Car Technician (268R), Electrician – Construction and Maintenance 309A, Automotive Service Technician 310S or Heavy Duty Equipment Technician 421A.
- Five years’ experience in transportation industry
- Previous supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized environment
- Have a solid understanding of collective agreements
- Must have sound knowledge of electrical and mechanical systems as they apply to railway equipment components, and facilities.
- Working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office Suite
- Committed to Company Health and Safety
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: The successful candidate will need to pass the following clearances: criminal record check, employment references and education verification.
CLOSING DATE: September 10, 2023 no later than 11:59 p.m. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number.
Ontario Northland is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources.
To apply for this job please visit ontarionorthland.applytojob.com.