The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Farouq, has said that the school feeding programme will be implemented despite the closure of schools nationwide.
Schools across Nigeria have been closed for about one week to check the spread of COVID-19.
She said talks with state governors to ensure the continuation of the programme as directed by President Muhammadu Buhari has commenced.
She said this while responding to questions at the joint national briefing of the Presidential Task Force in Abuja on Monday.
Mr Buhari had, on Sunday, directed the ministry to develop a strategy on how to sustain the school feeding programme.
“Furthermore, although schools are closed, I have instructed the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development to work with State Governments in developing a strategy on how to sustain the school feeding program during this period without compromising our social distancing policies,” Mr Buhari had said.
Some Nigerians had wondered how this could be implemented with the pupils currently at home after schools had been locked down.
The minister did not provide any clarification to that ambiguity. She, however, provided more information on related matters.