Will you like to work in Canada this year as a foreign worker? Or perhaps you want to move to Canada this year with your family in search of a better life?
Canada is looking for foreign workers to come and fill up labour shortage in their country and take up unfilled job vacancies. Moving to Canada to work is quite easy if you have met the requirements to immigrate and work in Canada.
In this article, I am going to explain everything you’ll need to move to Canada to work.
Every year, over 300,000 move to Canada in search of better life. About 1.3 million people are expected to enter Canada according to the Immigration Level Plan 2022 – 2024.
These immigrants are expected to fill up labour shortages in Canada or start up businesses that can employ people in Canada and contribute to the economy of the Canada.
So, anyone moving to Canada can easily find a job if they have met the requirements for employment in Canada. You are required to obtain a work permit to be able to work in Canada as a foreigner in Canada.
There are several ways you can obtain a work permit in Canada and there are different types of work permit to work in Canada.
How To Obtain a Work Permit in Canada.
There are four basic ways of obtaining a temporary Canadian Work Visa:
- Employer applies for labour market opinion (if necessary)
- Employer extends temporary job offer to foreign workers
- Foreign skilled worker applies for work permit
- Work permit is issued.
A work permit could be OPEN or CLOSED. An open work permit allows you to work for any Canadian employer in any province for any period of time within the valid period of the permit.
On the other hand, a closed work permit also called employer-specific work permit only allows you to work for a particular employer and in a particular work position for the entire valid period of the permit.
Who is eligible for a work permit?
Candidates who qualify to apply for a work permit must also meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Demonstrate their intent to leave once their work authorization expires; and
- Prove they have sufficient funds to support them and their family in Canada and to return home; and
- Are not criminally or medically inadmissible to Canada; and
- Plan to work with an eligible employer; and
- Can provide any requested documents that may prove their eligibility to enter Canada.
Here are some of the requirements you will need to get a work visa in Canada:
- You will need to get a job offer from an employer in Canada for you to qualify for a work permit
- You will have to ask your employer for an LMIA especially if you are applying for an employer-specific work permit and you will submit a copy with your work permit application
- All application must be submitted online through the website of the Canadian Government.
Who can apply for a Work Permit?
To be able to apply for a work permit, you have to fall under one of the following categories:
- An international student willing and ready to work for 20 hours a week
- A spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program and also an international student
- A dependent family member that has already applied for permanent residence in Canada.
How to obtain a Canadian work permit
The process for obtaining a Canadian work permit varies greatly depending on which type of work permit a person is applying for. The first step is determining which work permit is best for you.
What documents are required to apply for a Canadian work permit?
The documents required for a Canadian work permit will depend on the type of work permit you are applying for. Applicants may need to provide the following documents as part of their work permit application:
- Completed application forms
- Proof of status in Canada (if applicable)
- Family member’s proof of status (if applicable)
- Labour Market Impact Assessment (if applicable)
- Written offer of employment (if applicable)
- CV/ résumé
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) (if applicable)
- Proof that you meet the job requirements
- Valid copy of your passport
- Copy of education credential
- Medical exam results (if requested)
- Evidence of financial means to stay in Canada and return to home country
- Proof of payment for applicable government fees
- Recent passport-sized photos.
Top In-Demand Jobs in Canada
Canada boasts of a lot of job opportunities and this has attracted a lot of foreign workers to Canada. While it is true that there are lots of job opportunities available in Canada, it is worthy to note that some jobs are in higher demand than others.
You can see the top in demand jobs in Canada as earlier published on this blog here.
For you to work in Canada as a foreigner depends on the kind of work permit you apply for and we have shown you the types of work permits that are available in Canada. What you have to do now is to figure out the best work permit that suits you.
Canada is one of the best countries of the world where you can live and work and you wouldn’t want to miss this opportunity to move to Canada and start working.